OS-CAL (Calcium Carbonate) or Calcium Citrate?
Are there compliance consideration differences?
Because compliance is essential for fracture risk reduction, OS-CAL differs in a number of important ways
Acceptance and ease of use is very important when compliance is a necessary consideration. OS-CAL helps promote both patient acceptance and patient compliance.
Compared to Citracal®, OS-CAL offers:
- Approximately 60% more elemental calcium per caplet1
- Smaller and fewer caplets per dose
- Simple one caplet bis in die (BID), or twice a day dosing
- Coated smaller caplet to help enhance ease of swallowing
- Directions tie dosing to meals, which provides a simple, easy-to-remember memory cue1
- Limited interaction potential with bisphosphonates due to dosing at meal time requirements1
- A side effect profile similar to placebo for gastrointestinal complaints of constipation, bloating, and gas
- Greater cost efficiencies